0

A Square, a Wharf and a Prison (AKA Day 4 - Part 2)

Posted by Angela Dawn on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 in
So after climbing up Lombard street - I made a right to head to the Waterfront. Luckily, it was downhill (that still seemed to kill though). At the waterfront I came across Ghiaradelli Square. It's a shame I don't like chocolate as there were three individual stores (one a chocolatier, another a candy and another an ice cream shop) catering to those who do. I tooks some pictures and went into Kara's cupcakes and bought four different kinds to try (my favorite is the Meyer Lemon, though it is reallly, really sweet!).


As I was walking, I saw an In-N-Out Burger (from what I know, this chain seems to be confined soley to California). I had to stop in and try it out. I got a hamburger and fries. The fries were good as any fry is. The hamburger was good, too. Not necessarily something to write home about (thoug I guess I'm doing that right now?), but good. The bun was grilled a bit so that the bites around the edges were a little crunchy, which I liked. I finished, and then continued down the waterfront and several piers until I reached Fisherman's Wharf. I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be. It is a main tourist spot (I'd be hard-pressed to find a local that was there and not for work). I took some pictures but didn't really explore any of the shops. Then, at the end of the wharf, I watched the Sea Lions in their afternoon rituals. I could hear them as soon as I turned down the long pier. They reminded me of my puppies at home (oh, how do I miss them). If you see the two on the bottom left dock, the one on the right is scratching with one of his back legs and the one on the left is rolling around on his back.


After gazing at the Sea Lions for awhile, I headed back down the street to where I had been to Ghiradelli Square. From here, I waited in a short line to catch a Cable Car. This is of the picture going up the hill:


I got off the Cable Car in time to go to ChinaTown. I had seen a lot of the stores from my many bus trips, so I didn't do as much exploring as everyone might. I'm not big into Chinese Food, so I wasn't anxious to try anything out. I explored a little and took a picture of the entrance gate and then headed south to shop at North Face. There, I picked up a jacket that Jenn had loaned me (it kept me warm the entire time I was here). I needed one, too. ;)


Now it was nearing around 2pm, so I headed back to the loft and took a very short, but relaxing nap. My energy had been dragging all day. I'm just not built for this kind of workout. I need to really work on my endurance when I get back home. I headed out again around 4. It became apparent to me that it was a work day, as it was nearing rush hour and the buses and quick rail (which is like the subway I'd imagine, but above ground for the most part) were crowded. I got off at the Ferry Building Marketplace to explore. I had to be quick so that I'd make it to the Pier to catch my tour for Alcatraz, and the Marketplace was closing so it wasn't too big of a deal. It would have been much nicer if I was buying groceries there. As there was a store for every type of food: Need a specific Pig part, there's a store for that. Another store carries Olive Oil. Another is a wine shop. There's an Acme Bread Company, a spice company and a general grocery. All I seemed to be missing was the Candlestick Maker. I went to Ciao Bella (an gelato and sorbet company that makes interesting flavors). I have some pints from them at home. I tried their Maple Walnut gelato. It really tasted just like a praline (in ice cream form). I caught a bus and headed to the Ferry for my Alcatraz tour next.
Once on the ferry, I was able to take some really good pictures of the island:
And of course, a view from the island to the mainland - a display of what those prisoners who were able to work outside had to look at everyday of a reminder of freedom:

Once on the island, we had a short tour from a guide - who explained several escape attempts - including a prisoner who mailed himself off the island. Then, we continued inside the cellhouse for an audio tour. It was at least 30-45 minutes long and was a compilation of accounts from prisoners, guards and loved ones (I believe the actual recordings from these folks - or maybe recordings based on what they said). A look at a few of the pictures here:


The tour ended and I looked around a bit more. I had just missed the tour on "Murder in the First" - which I wasn't certain was a recount as in the movie with Kevin Bacon, but nonetheless I had taken too much time on the audio tour. I boarded the Ferry and a bus back to the loft and passed out.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Travel Bug All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.