0

The Golden Gate Bridge - Day 5

Posted by Angela Dawn on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 in
No more posts after this one. Tomorrow, Day 6, I will techinically still be in San Francisco, but just getting the loft in order and headed to the airport. Nothing really to express after today, I should think.

Well today was more of a leisurely day (in the sense that I didn't wake up at 6 or 7am, and didn't have a full day). I woke up around 9am and relaxed around the loft until 11am. At that time I went back to Union Street (Day 3) to return some stuff to my favorite store, Lululemon. While I love the clothing, I had spent too much, and didn't want to be debt when I went back home ;) After that, I caught a bus and went back down near Ghiradelli Square to "Blazing Saddles" - a bike rental company. A nice Irish woman (she had an Irish accent, but it wasn't so thick I would think she had been in the States for awhile). I picked up a bike, a map and a helmet and was on my way to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. I took a short detour to the Palace of Fine Arts. The street I took actually came up behind the palace - which provided for some pretty awesome shots:

There was a park on this side, as well and there were groups of kids (probably pre-school or kindergarten classes) eating lunch on the lawn (juiceboxes and all). I headed back to the main bike trail along the waterfront and took pictures gradually as I got closer and closer to the Gate. This one has me in it, as I was able to put my camera on a trash can for the self-timer:
I continued along the trail and took this shot just before the uphill climb.
Now the next part I wasn't able to bike. I had to get off the bike and walk it up the incline (way too steep for my taste - and I did try, but it just wasn't going to happen). Several other bikers were walking their bikes up, too, so I didn't feel so foolish. Once at the top, I continued on until I was just below the first tower, and took this lovely hand-held shot:

It wasn't as chilly as I thought it would have been up there. Maybe that's because it was a warmer, less-foggy day. Or, maybe it was because I was working my body too hard to be cold. Man, this biking thing was tough - I need ENDURANCE! I found a ledge in one of the posts on the bridge just after the second tower, so I self-timed this shot with traffic. You can see that it is a little windy, as my hair was flying around everywhere:

On the other end of the bridge, I could see the down-hill climb, and part of the town of Sausalito (the town where the first ferry could pick me up).
Once I got into Sausalito, I biked around a short while just exploring the town. It's really pretty. I would even contemplate staying here instead of San Francisco because of the down-to-earth, old-town feel. However, it would be more of a hassle to get all of the sights of San Francisco in, having to bike or ferry over everyday. I found a cute shop and got a hot dog (I'd been craving one) and fries. They were really good. This wasn't a chain store, and they had a cute ice cream shop (flavors like Strawberry Margherita and Blueberry Cheesecake - all had chunks and looked pretty much home-made). I would have stopped back in, but it was nearing 3pm and I wanted to be able to eat and catch the next ferry in good time.

I sat down near the ferry and ate in this little park area:

And also took a last-minute picture of some of the town above me:

I could have carried on another 35 minute ride to a park where they were supposed to have Redwoods (something I didn't get to really see too much of - I think there were some on Joel's route to the beach on Saturday), but I will save those for next time when I come back this way for Yosemite or Wine Country. I would have then had a 35 minute ride back to Sausalito or a 45 minute ride to Tiburon for a different Ferry. I was too tired at that point, and didn't want to get back into town extremely late, so I opted out. After the ferry ride (which was longer than what I think it should have been - they took a really far out excursion in the water instead of going from point A to point B), returning my bike, and busing it back to the loft, it was already nearing 6. I've updated my blog, and now it's time for packing and then I head home tomorrow. :( I'm anxious to see my family and the dogs, but sad that vacation is over.
Until next time...

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Travel Bug All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.