I left the park around noon and headed south to Zazie's - a French bistro/cafe that had great reviews for a wonderful breakfast. Of course, this was Sunday, so they had brunch and served until 3. I was made aware online that there would be a wait, and there was. I got there and it looked like it would be about an hour. However, the "maitre d,'" Mario, informed me that the two tables outside the door at the front of the restaurant are first come, first serve, and if I saw someone leave, to just take it. I probably waited about 10 or 15 minutes and then sat at one of those tables. Apparently they have a patio out back of the restaurant, but I never got to see that. I ordered a mimosa (which was good, but it was $7 and hardly more than 8oz. Expensive. Oh well, that's the only drink I had outside of the Loft (good old bottle of Riesling was broke into on Saturday night, and I'm also drinking some right now). I ended up ordering fresh fruit, bacon and the "Tahiti French Toast" - French Toast with walnuts inside and caramelized bananas. It was really good. I would have taken a picture, but I was at the front of the restaurant with about 30 people waiting for tables easily viewing me and I guess I felt a bit self-conscious. I didn't stay too long at the table, either, so someone else could take advantage of the "first-come" policy. Next up I walked and waited at the bus-stop for a bus to a clothing store near the park. A couple with a dog (a Fox-River Red Labrador Retriever) named Lincoln. It was a very good and obedient dog, yet did beg when they had food out (can't train that out of any dog, I guess). Apparently, I learned, that you can take the dog on the bus with you in San Francisco as long as he is muzzled and on a short-leash. I thought this was a great thing for all the people who live here and have dogs (which seems to be plenty from what I've seen). I got off the bus and headed to the clothing store (which wasn't closed, but the owners were out, so the store was not open for the moment and I didn't feel like waiting around). I decided to walk to Union Street and the main drag of shops. It was farther than I expected, but I made it. And I found out something that made me incredibly upset with myself. I was taking a picture of the street to show how steep it was:
And it was still white-washed. Then I noticed that my camera was on a different setting than normal ("S") - which I'm not sure still what that stands for. No matter, that was the reason everything was turning out bright. So I switched back to normal:
Much better. However, that didn't make me feel any better because my Golden Gate Park pictures still were terrible. Oh well, at least the sun was out and I was warm.
Apparently there was a street fair going on down the entire block of Union Street that has all the shopping. While it was nice to experience that, I kind of wish it hadn't been happening because I had trouble finding the stores I wanted to go to with so many people and the street filled with vendors and food.
I made it to Lululemon and went inside to shop. They have two stores in San Francisco and this was the tinier of the two. I wasn't greeted the entire time, I had to ask for a fitting room (other people near me were asked if they wanted to start one with the clothes they had in their hands) and I was only talked to by the person who checked me out. This was not a great experience for my favorite store. Especially since I went in there with a full intention of buying something and they're usually a friendly place. I'll blame it on the fact they were busy, but it still didn't make me all too happy.
I made my way to the bus-stop to go to Union Square (and the other Lululemon). I met a guy named James who lived in the area and was headed to work. He works at an Italian restaurant in North Beach name Joe & Eddie's. I might go there on Tuesday night, but I'm not positive. From how he described it, it's a bit like Buca di Beppo with the large portions and also a bit fancier (not incredibly fancy, but I might feel out of place with jeans, or even just by myself, I think). I'm not certain about that at all yet. It was nice to talk to someone who lives there, though.
Arriving at Union I headed again to Lululemon. This time was much nicer. The store was bigger, they had something I had seen online and wanted to try on and the guy who helped me with everything was energetic from the get-go. I made my all-too-much purchase and headed back to the loft to get ready for Wicked.
I should have worn a jacket based on the previous night's experience, but I was stupid and didn't. Therefore I froze my bottom off to and from the theatre. I arrived a bit early so I could get situated and ask where the stage door was to take pictures with the cast. Only to realize later while sitting in my seat that I had no form of pen/pencil/marker for which the actors could sign my program. This is something else I might do on Tuesday night (sneak back over to the theatre and wait outside for that night's performance to be over and then get the autographs and pictures).
The Orpheum theatre was beautiful and the show was AMAZING!!! I really want to see it again (in fact I considered buying a ticket for Tuesdays' night performance, but alas, I'll spend that money elsewhere). I will see it if the touring show comes to Ohio, though. I was really tempted to sing along, but I didn't want to annoy the people sitting beside me. No photography was allowed inside the theatre at all - so alas, no pictures. Glinda was played by an under-study who did a fantastic job (hard to live up to Kristin Chenoweth's shoes in my opinion). Same goes for the lady who played Elphaba (Idina Menzel did win a Tony for this performance, of course). The show made me miss theatre and also made me wish I had an inch of their talent so that I could be up there on that stage day in and day out. Singing, dancing, acting - that would be the ultimate.
I bought two cute Wicked shirts too and a program for memorabilia and then was on my way back to the loft to only fall asleep practically when I got back. End of day 3.
Post a Comment